18 September 2018: The Road Safety Authority (RSA) is asking road users to exercise caution while using the roads on Wednesday as Met Éireann has issued an orange weather warning for strong winds for Ireland as Storm Ali approaches.
The counties that will be most affected are Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Dublin, Kildare, Louth, Meath, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo, Clare and Kerry.
South to southwest winds veering westerly will increase to mean speeds between 65 and 80 km/h with gusts between 110 and 120 km/h for a time in some areas. Winds strongest along Atlantic Coasts at first but will extend further east later in the morning.
The RSA is asking road users to check local weather and traffic conditions and be aware of the conditions before setting out on a trip.
The RSA has the following advice for road users:
Beware of objects being blown out onto the road. Expect the unexpected.
Watch out for falling/fallen debris on the road and vehicles veering across the road
Control of a vehicle may be affected by strong cross winds. High sided vehicles and motorcyclists are particularly vulnerable to strong winds
Allow extra space between you and vulnerable road users such as cyclists and motorcyclists
Drive with dipped headlights at all times
Advice to Pedestrians, Cyclists and motorcyclists;
Be seen. Wear bright clothing with reflective armbands or a reflective belt.
Take extra care when crossing the road or cycling in extremely windy conditions as a sudden gust of wind could blow you into the path of an oncoming vehicle.
See video created in collaboration with Teresa Mannion with advice for driving in strong winds here.
Please also see suite of videos focusing on driving in severe weather here.
For more weather updates, visit Met Eireann’s website: www.met.ieTags: MetEirrian, RSA, Штормовое предупреждение
Последние публикации в категории
- Dublin Airport Injury Claim *
- 4% Rise in Road Deaths Recorded in 2019
- Road Safety Alert – Orange and Yellow Weather Warnings for Wind and Rain 18 December 2019
- French bistro «Le Pastis»
- Road Safety Alert –Yellow Weather Warnings for Snow and Ice
- Another 'Beast from the East' on it's way as Storm Deirdre set to blast Ireland later in the week
- Will we get a 'white Halloween' in Ireland?
- Irish weather forecast: Forecasters warn of a ‘big cooldown’ at the end of October with temperatures set to plunge as low as -4C