A Met Eireann spokesperson confirmed that the hurricane is heading eastwards
Storm Leslie has become a hurricane as of Wednesday morning and it could be set to whip up strong winds and unleash wintry downpours later this month in Ireland.
The unsettled front will arrive at the same time as Ireland is hit by plunging temperatures.
Met Eireann meteorologist John Eagleton told the Irish Mirror that the cyclone is moving towards Ireland. However, he said it’s unclear how badly it could affect the country.
He said: “Leslie is currently horizontal to us, in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.
“It does look as if it’s coming in our direction, and should be in between Iceland and Ireland in 10 days time as it gets sucked in by the jetstream.”
The tropical storm is currently strengthening in the mid-Atlantic and is expected to develop to hurricane strength by Thursday.
Met Eireann forecast that the early days of next week will bring unsettled weather.
It’s understood Ireland will get the tail end of the hurricane’s deadly winds but it won’t be directly in our area.
A forecaster said: “It doesn’t look like it’s going to land itself coming in over Ireland.
“Looking at the charts it looks like it’s going to track across the southern Atlantic.”
Hurricane Leslie has dramatically veered eastwards and is on course to hit northern Europe by the end of next week.
A forecaster for Met Eireann said: “There is going a jetstream developing over Ireland during next week, and it is going to bring in home wet and windy weather at times.”
Met Office chief meteorologist Andy Page said: “Leslie will likely strengthen to a hurricane as it moves over warmer waters with large swells affecting Bermuda and east coast of the United States and the Caribbean.
“It is likely to gradually weaken after this and move eastwards across the north Atlantic.”
Последние публикации в категории
- Dublin Airport Injury Claim *
- 4% Rise in Road Deaths Recorded in 2019
- Road Safety Alert – Orange and Yellow Weather Warnings for Wind and Rain 18 December 2019
- French bistro «Le Pastis»
- Road Safety Alert –Yellow Weather Warnings for Snow and Ice
- Another 'Beast from the East' on it's way as Storm Deirdre set to blast Ireland later in the week
- Will we get a 'white Halloween' in Ireland?
- Irish weather forecast: Forecasters warn of a ‘big cooldown’ at the end of October with temperatures set to plunge as low as -4C