In recent days Gardaí have received reports of persons receiving phone calls from fraudsters claiming to be members of An Garda Síochána. The number calling appears to be the phone number of a genuine Garda station.
There are several stages to these scam calls:
1. The person receiving the call is subjected to a pre-recorded or automated message that prompts them to select an option.
2. The person is then put through to a person alleging to be a member of An Garda Síochána.
3. The scammer either looks for personal information or informs the person that their details have been involved or linked to a crime.
4. After giving over personal details the victim receives a follow up call from another scammer seeking more details on behalf of An Garda Síochána (This call appears to be coming from a genuine Garda station number).
An Garda Síochána will never make contact with members of the public in this fashion.
Tags: Банк, Гарда, мошенничество в Ирландии
On receipt of these communications, the advice of An Garda Síochána is as follows:
• Do not engage with the caller.
• Do not return the call.
• Do not follow the automated instructions – Do not press 1 etc.
• Never transfer money.
• Never disclose personal or financial information.
• Hang up and end the call.
Whilst the scammers may change their stories and methods, their goal is always the same – they want to access your sensitive information and get their hands on your money.
If you believe you may have fallen victim to this scam, contact your financial institution and report the matter to your local Garda station.