The Road Safety Authority (RSA) is asking road users to exercise caution while using the roads on Thursday night and Friday morning as Met Éireann has issued an orange weather warning for strong winds for Ireland as Storm Callum approaches.
Strong winds associated with Storm Callum, coinciding with high spring tides will affect Ireland. The counties that will be most affected are Dublin, Louth, Wexford, Wicklow, Meath, Cork, Waterford, Donegal, Galway, Mayo, Sligo, Clare and Kerry.
Winds will be strongest overnight and early on Friday and could reach speeds of between 110 and 130km/h at coasts. A Status Yellow warning has also been issued for the rest of the country.
There is also a risk of coastal flooding in affected counties. Drivers are advised to never attempt to drive through flooded roads and to heed any warnings or detours the Local Authority or Gardai may have in place.
The RSA is asking road users to check local weather and traffic conditions and be aware of the conditions before setting out on a trip.
The RSA has the following advice for road users:
- Beware of objects being blown out onto the road. Expect the unexpected.
- Watch out for falling/fallen debris on the road and vehicles veering across the road
- Control of a vehicle may be affected by strong cross winds. High sided vehicles and motorcyclists are particularly vulnerable to strong winds
- Allow extra space between you and vulnerable road users such as cyclists and motorcyclists
- Drive with dipped headlights at all times
Advice to Pedestrians, Cyclists and motorcyclists;
- Be seen. Wear bright clothing with reflective armbands or a reflective belt.
- Take extra care when crossing the road or cycling in extremely windy conditions as a sudden gust of wind could blow you into the path of an oncoming vehicle.
For advice on using the road in severe weather, please see severe weather advice on the RSA website or check out the RSA Facebook and Twitter pages.
See video created in collaboration with Teresa Mannion with advice for driving in strong winds here.
Please also see suite of videos focusing on driving in severe weather here.
For more weather updates, visit Met Eireann’s website: www.met.ieMetEirrian, RSA, Штормовое предупреждение